The leaves are turning colors and falling off the trees, you have felt the first nip of the cold weather on your nose. You know that winter is coming, but how prepared are you for those days and nights that become so cold your pipes are at risk of freezing? To help you prepare to the winter months consider calling a plumbing service in Salinas, CA. A professional can come to your home to inspect your plumbing and offer you ways in how to make sure they do not freeze up this winter. The last thing you want during the cold season and over the holidays is to be stuck without water due to a busted pipe.
How to Protect Your Pipes this Winter Season
- You will want to shut off any outside water source during the winter months. Any outside pipelines should also be wrapped with an insulating rubber or foam wraps to help protect them from the cold. This will help reduce the chances of the pipe bursting on you.
- Be sure to drain any outside irrigation systems or faucets to make sure there is no water left in them. Some systems can require you to call a professional that can make sure all the water is out.
- Check for any leaks on the pipelines in your home. If you find small ones you can patch them with heat tape to prevent the weak spot from bursting when they freeze. It would be better to call a professional in to help replace these weakened areas.
- Be sure to have your water heater maintenance before the winter months. The last thing you want is to have it break down leaving you with cold water only.
- Make sure you keep your house heated at the same temperature during both the day and night time. This will help keep the pipes at the same temperature and prevent them from bursting.
Do Not Hesitate to Call in a Professional
A frozen pipe that bursts can become very expensive, very quickly. You do not want to risk damage to your home simply because you did not want to call in a plumber. You may think it will cost too much to hire a technician to come to your home. However, having them service your pipes will be nothing compared to how much you will spend if your pipes erupt. Before the cold winter days hit be sure to call in a professional to assist in making sure your plumbing is protected.